Current Projects

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Hamilton - King George Star Part I

I’ve been working on the crown and livery collar since about January, but it’s a long haul.  So I figured I’d also work on something smaller and easier that I could finish in the meantime: the star badge thing on the suit.

The star looks to be about palm-sized (3” for me), stitched all in silver except for four little squares in gold, and in the center a stone to match the ones on the livery collar (for my purposes, an 11mm red cabochon in a gold high-wall setting).

Because it worked well last time, I’m reusing the basic process from the chest star on my TFA Rescue Cap.  This'll just be a little more challenging since it's stitching *on* tiny lines instead of filling in large gaps between lines.  I did some layout sketches and notes to get an idea of the design, and then cut out a round of felt (for the base) and fabric (for the top) just big enough to fit the embroidery hoop. 
Ideally I would have used red fabric, but I didn’t have any in my stash.  What I *did* have was red fabric paint and cotton scraps so I just used that instead.  Once that was dry and heat set, I drew on the design (partly traced from the collar’s similar eight-point star piece) and popped it in the hoop. 
Some of the stitches, especially on the smaller inner star, look like *actual* embroidery stitches like a chain stitch, but I’m just doing a very basic in-an-out stitch for the sake of ease.

Hopefully I'll start embroidering in the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment