Current Projects

Monday, May 1, 2017

Hamilton: An American Musical - King George III

Post-draft edit: I was going to wait a while to post this, but yesterday I scored tickets for the LA tour of Hamilton! (!!!) So it seemed a good time to put it up.

This is the last thing I need to be doing, but I couldn't resist, so for a few months now I've been picking away at the beginnings of a King George III from Hamilton: An American Musical.  To go with I'll be making my friend an interchangeable Hamilton and Washington (the basic uniform costume is the same, just adding a hat/sash/epaulettes for Washington).  There are a few events I'd love to wear this for (next year's Costume College Gala and Labyrinth of Jareth, namely), but for now I'm just working casually at an easy pace with no deadline.  So much is going to go into these, I think that's the only way I'll be able to afford the time and money anyway.  For the same reason, I’ll be doing it in stages: first the accessories (crown, livery collar, chest star, garter), then the suit, then the cape (or maybe cape then suit, as the cape is easier overall).

The costume details vary a little between which year and show they’re from (different suit buttons, shirt lace, shoe buckles, crown details, etc.), but I mainly worked from these photos so those were the styles I went with, and when details conflicted I chose my favorite version.

I started with research strictly on the Broadway costume, but moving into historical research it didn’t take long to find some of what must have been the inspiration for the show’s pieces.

The whole costume is very spot-on to full-regalia King George.

Via
Via
The crown is clearly based on St. Edward’s Crown.
Via
The livery collar, chest star, and garter are reminiscent of the insignia of the Order of the Garter and various other orders of chivalry.
Via
The cape is a close match to King George III’s coronation robe and robes of state.
Via
Via
And the suit bears strong similarities to a few specific men’s suits of the period.
Via
Via
Via

I’ve already started on the crown, livery collar, chest star, and garter, so I’ll recap those first and get caught up to in-progress work.

No comments:

Post a Comment